Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crepe- Paris, France

An Eiffel Tower made completely out of
chocolate! Only in Paris!
Bonjour from Paris! I've heard it said that this is the most romantic city in the world. Perhaps there is a culture barrier between myself and the Parisians, but I believe the saying is meant to be "the most delicious city in the world." For three days I have walked the streets of Paris. I saw the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Sacre Couer, Notre Dame, the beaches of Normandie (Northern France), Arc du'Triumph, and Bastille. But these are not the things that have impressed me the most in Paris. It will come as no shock to you that my joys in Paris have come from... the sweets. 

Crepes are a classic French dessert that many of us have tasted before, as almost every country has its own version of this treat. We've eaten them in crepe stands at fairs. We've eaten savory crepes in brunch restaurants and we've had sweet crepes for dessert. But few of us have had the pleasure of eating a crepe on the streets of Paris. Fortunately for those who have not, I can tell you all about it! 

"Crepe" is a French word for "pancake". This treat is prepared by using pancake mix and spreading it very thin on a hot, circular griddle. Because it is paper thin, the crepe shell cooks in seconds. Once it is cooked, it is folded in half. At this point, any filling is spread onto the crepe before it is folded in three, in the shape of a triangle. Unlike other triangular foods (pizza), this treat is eaten from the outside to the pointed center, where most of the filling awaits! 

Making the crepe shell.

Adding the Nutella and banana filling.

Mmmm! 

For years, crepes were reserved for French royalty, as the white flour used to make it was quite expensive. Now, they are eaten as part of any meal, and with any filling. But the most popular crepe is the chocolate crepe. In Paris, I tried a Nutella and banana crepe- a popular combination today. My mouth waters just thinking of this treat! I would be lying if I told you that this was the only crepe I had eaten in Paris, and each have been a pleasure. But don't worry, I saved room for other fine desserts as well! 

When in Paris...

No comments:

Post a Comment